Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

What Is My Idol?


-Chonghoi Inbuon

It was Friday night, as usual I was solving my Bible Study questionnaire with my little sleepy boy waiting next to me. One question from the lesson struck me “Who is your idol?”- The question that was based on Isaiah 44 made me stop and think. I learned from my Bible Study that anything that takes the place of God in my life is my idol. Colossians 3:5 clearly says, “Idolatry is coveting something or someone more than we desire God.” For some people it could be
money and for others it could be job security, wealth, education, relationships, pleasure, self medication, food in the fridge, shopping, fashion etc.
As I try to apply this question/ passage into my life, I asked myself “What is my idol? Is there anything or anyone that is taking the place of God in my life? Sad to say…. as I have many idols. Shouldering family responsibilities alone and single parenting are big challenges ahead of me. Moreover, hitting 40s, the thought of being old and the challenges of becoming old do visit me time to time and it is quite scary. At this juncture of my life, with these many challenges, security is one of the issues. Where do I seek my security? Is it in God or in something else? Where do I fit God in my life at this moment of anxiety, fear and insecurity?
For a long time I made myself believe that my son will take care of me in my old age. For a long time, I sought security in my husband who, I thought to have provided for the family faithfully. I feel sorry to say that I did not fully depend and trust God. I had trusted and relied more on human than God.
The Lord gently rebuked me the following week through my Bible Study that, it is neither my son nor my husband who has taken care or will take care of me, but Him. “Even to your old age and gray hairs, I am he; I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you”. (Isaiah 46:4) What a comfort it is! When the Lord speaks, fear disappears and hope flows in. The Lord who called me to his service reminded me that he is my provider, my friend, my security by saying “I will take care of you even to your old age and gray hairs”. What more do I ask from God? How long will I tremble in fear and insecurity? Since that day anxiety, fear and insecurity are replaced by peace, a peace that comes from knowing and believing that God will do exactly what he says. 
He further says “I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you. If only you pay attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river” (Isaiah 48:18a). Amen, dear Lord Jesus, Come what may, I rest assured in your promises.
(4th February, 2011)

1 comment: